Well all l can say is if that's the security that's in place for Calais to Dover ... it's a complete waste of bloody money! Myself and 3 D-Day vet passengers arrived at Calais for our return trip (we'd been visiting the Normandy D-Day Beaches etc). Joined the long line for Border Control in the car. French Border booths empty but behind them was the UK Border Control (yes, in France). Reached the UK booths and handed over the passports. Female officer checked the passports on a government computer that must have a bloody time lag built in it's so slow. She then called out the names on the passports and we all answered in turn. Seems fine until you realise she can't see from her booth the 2 passengers in the rear of the Jeep as it's got factory fitted blacked out windows!
We then drive on ferry, park up and get out. No-one checks the passengers, no-one checks the vehicle ... nothing! Arrive at Dover, drive off and join a long queue to exit the port. We pass a set of cameras that l assume are ANPR and then carry on in the queue till we reach Customs Control. This is 2 lanes that go through a large type warehouse affair. HMRC officers are there in the middle of the 2 lanes with a screen in front of them. To the side is open spaces where they can pull you to one side if they so choose. We approach the area and are just waived on ... no check of passengers, no check of vehicle ... nothing! Oh, and l borrowed the Jeep so the owner of it wasn't with us either
That's UK Border Control folks! Feel safe now? :) l mean that's what they tell us they are there for, isn't it? You do believe them, don't you? :)
EU Cross-Border Shopping Guide
- What Amount of Cigs/Tobacco Can I Buy?
- Do NOT Be Wrongly Branded A Smuggler
- Statement of Truth for Cross-Border Shoppers
- Personal Use Calculator for Cigs/Tobacco
- About Us
- How to Record ALL UKBA lnterviews
- Help Fellow Cross-Border Shoppers NOW!
- Vehicle Seizures
- EU tobacco/cigarette prices
- Video/Audio of Real UKBA Stop, Search, Interviews
- The Day We Beat and Outed the UKBA In Court!
- Shopping for Tobacco in Bulgaria? ..You NEED this!
- Extra Tips for dealing with Customs
- CONTACT US
- **Appeals Against Seizure ... The Process**